Saturday, July 21, 2007

HARRY POTTER & THE PRE-PUBESCENT RIOTS

the newest harry potter book, Harry Potter & The Deathly Hollows, was released to the public last night at midnight.



i got wind of the preparations that Barnes & Noble was making in anticipation of the release. curiosity drove me to swing by to see how crazy it could possibly be and i snapped these photos. these were taken at about 12:30 am.

the bookstore itself was flooded with kids and their respective guardians. overflow went into the parking lot, where people were on the verge of Attica pandemonium. there were a few older people eager for the next Hogwarts tale, but for the most part, it was boys and girls between 12 and 16. a lot came in costume. robes. lightning bolts sharpied on foreheads. catholic school uniforms. i hoped to finagles some pictures but i was getting some odd looks from parents nearby.

say what you will about the Harry Potter series, but i for one am happy that a book, any book, can incite this kind of excitement in kids. i know fundamental christians have been protesting the series from the beginning for its pseudo occult support. whatever. its a fantasy novel. personally, i wasn't that interested in the book. my top ten of must reads don't include many teen wizards. still, i had my Lord of the Rings period.but hey, that's just me. just be happy your kids are enthusiastic about reading books and not about pokemon or gangbanging.

i, for one, say kudos to J.K. Rowling. she's the first author to become a billionaire by the power of the pen. we need more billionaire artists. i support that 100%.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maria, a huge Harry Potter fan, and I attended one of the many release partys and, suprisingly, I had a really good time. I never was that interested in the books until we saw the most recent film, at which point I thought that I would give them a chance. I generally stick to history, political and cultural genres when choosing a book. I must now admit that I love the HP series. I agree that it is exciting to see so many people thrilled over a book release. Dressing as characters and playing games and the like. I could have been cynical and questioned the sanity of these fans only to prove my own hypocracy. After all, I am a Civil War reenactor.